Take a look at the US LLC Business Package to get everything you need to operate a business in the United States!

Unable to get a Credit Card. Any suggestions?

Author Topic: Unable to get a Credit Card. Any suggestions?

Kumar

Hi Folks,

I think I have run into a wall here.

Our banks don't issue Credit Cards easily to self-employed or new businesses.

Since I didn't have a lot of transactions in my bank account, my credit card application has been rejected.

I do have an existing card with a $400 credit limit (procured it by attaching it to a time (aka term) deposit), but with such a small limit, I'll have to keep paying the credit card bill as soon as my supplier bills me for a product (or two), to bring the credit limit back to the original.

Same issue paying suppliers with Paypal as well, as Indian users can only pay using Paypal via their credit card (not thru Paypal balance).

Has anyone run into such a problem? Is there a workaround?

Thanks!

Coach

• Coach
Hmm, this is a tricky situation. It's hard to give someone in India advice because everything is so different there when compared to the US. Here are a few ideas:

1. Can you get a VISA or MASTERCARD debit card for your checking account? It would only give you access to your checking account balance, but that would probably be better than a $400 limit credit card.

2. Here's a list of VISA card issuing banks in India.

3. If all else fails, look into pre-paid Visa or MasterCard credit cards.

Kumar

Hmm, this is a tricky situation. It's hard to give someone in India advice because everything is so different there when compared to the US. Here are a few ideas:

1. Can you get a VISA or MASTERCARD debit card for your checking account? It would only give you access to your checking account balance, but that would probably be better than a $400 limit credit card.

2. Here's a list of VISA card issuing banks in India.

3. If all else fails, look into pre-paid Visa or MasterCard credit cards.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response.

I do have a VISA debit card that came with my Checking Account. Not sure how it helps though with the credit limit. Are you saying I can have the supplier bill me with my debit card?

I'll check into pre-paid cards as well, and report back.

Appreciate you researching and posting the link to VISA card issuing banks here.

Thanks!

Coach

• Coach
Debit cards shouldn't have credit limits. The only limit on a debit card should be the amount that you have in your checking account to back it.

Kumar

Yep, I understand that.

What I meant to ask was how would a debit card help in paying the supplier. Can he charge my debit card in the same way he can charge a credit card? Not sure of that.

cindymoynat

Yep, I understand that.

What I meant to ask was how would a debit card help in paying the supplier. Can he charge my debit card in the same way he can charge a credit card? Not sure of that.

Yes. That's what they do....my suppliers charge my debit cards. Also, paypal can issue a debit card that can be used in the same way....I don't know if the same rules apply for paypal in India, though

Cindy

RobMan

Kumar,

I, like many other drop ship retailers, use my company Visa DEBIT card to pay my suppliers. I don't ever use a credit card.

A debit card is different to a credit card in that, when using a debit card, the funds must be there in your bank account.

Every supplier is happy to use your debit card. Also, there should be no limit on the card as long as you have funds in your bank, though I can't 100% be sure as I don't know your details.

If you're worry about cash flow; just make sure that your customer payment has reached your bank account before you place the order through to your supplier.

Robert

You must be a Pro Member of Store Coach to participate in the forum. Learn more about Pro Membership now!

Take a look at the US LLC Business Package to get everything you need to operate a business in the United States!

Welcome to Store Coach

Your free account has been created. Before you continue on with the tutorial you were reading, take a quick look at everything Store Coach gives you...

Click the X in the top-right corner to close this window and continue reading the tutorial.

Welcome to Store Coach

Your free account has been created! Before you continue on with the tutorial you were reading, take a quick look at everything Store Coach gives you...

Click the X in the top-right corner to close this window and continue reading the tutorial.

Welcome to Store Coach

Your free account has been created. Before you continue on with the tutorial you were reading, take a quick look at everything Store Coach gives you...

Welcome to Store Coach

Create a Free Account

After creating a FREE Store Coach account, you'll be able to save your favorite videos, tutorials and other pages to your Favorites page for fast, easy access.

Membership Required

You must be a Pro Member of Store Coach to ask Coach questions and see Coach's answers to other members' questions. Pro Members also get access to exclusive pro tutorials and can post new topics & replies in the Store Coach forum.

Learn More About PRO Membership

Create a Free Account

After creating a FREE Store Coach account, you'll be able to keep track of which videos/tutorials you've already watched/read, keeping you organized as you go through our ecommerce training.

Create a Free Account

After creating a FREE Store Coach account, you'll be able to create unlimited "projects" and then track your progress on each using our phase-based task lists.

Create a Free Account

Store Coach is dedicated to helping you be successful in ecommerce. Simply sign up below to get free instant access to Store Coach and see what it's all about.

Included With Your FREE Account:

• Full access to our 7-phase ecommerce training course with 60+ videos & hundreds of tutorials
  • Massive library of step-by-step guides & tutorials for building and running a profitable online store
  • Create projects and use our phase-based task lists
  • Access to our BigCommerce tutorials, ecommerce glossary & webmaster tutorials
  • Invites to member-only live webinars hosted by the Coaches

Create Your Free Account Now!

Upgrade to Pro Membership

You must be a Pro Member to ask Coach questions and see Coach's answers to questions other Pro members have asked.

UPGRADE TO PRO MEMBERSHIP