Shopzilla PPC Advertising Options
Shopzilla is one of the best "second-tier" PPC portals because it is tied to BizRat, Beso and PriceGrabber as well. So, by submitting your store's products to Shopzilla, you will have PPC ads running in 4 of the biggest shopping portals.
UPDATE: Shopzilla was recently renamed, "Connexity", and includes more than 3,000 lesser-known publishing network partners, in addition to Shopzilla, BizRate, Beso and PriceGrabber.
Follow the steps, below, to create Shopzilla PPC ads.
Shopzilla PPC Ads Set-Up Guide
Shopzilla should be one of your top PPC advertising options because adding your products to Shopzilla (a top-tier shopping portal) will also get them inserted into both Bizrate and Beso, both of which are strong second-tier shopping portals. So it's a nice 3-for-1 deal that can drive a lot of good, targeted traffic to your site. We'll break the remainder of this tutorial into 3 parts ...
- Sign up for Shopzilla & provide credit card details
- Create a Shopzilla feed file
- Upload the feed file to your Shopzilla account
Step 1. Sign Up for Shopzilla, Provide Credit Card Details & Deposit
- Go to the Connexity sign-up page and proceed through the sign-up wizard to create your account and submit your basic store details. NOTE: If you have more than 1 store, you should create a separate account for each one.
- If you didn't provide credit or debit card details during the sign-up process, go to the Make Payments tab now (unlike Google Ads, with Shopzilla you must prepay for all clicks). Connexity requires a minimum $500 deposit before you can start running PPC ads. If you don't use it all, the deposit is refundable.
At this point, you should have all basic store settings in place and you should have a credit card on record, along with an account balance that can be used for future bids. If your store is on Shopify, you have a couple of options. You can use a paid app, which will create the feed file for you, or you can set up a manual feed file, outlined in Step 2, below:
Step 2. Create Your Shopzilla Feed File
- For starters, we need a clean export file that contains all of the products in your store. Within the Shopify admin panel, click on Products in the left column and then click the Export button at the top-left of the page. Select the 'All products' radio button in the 'Export' section and leave the other radio button in the 'Export as' section set at the default - 'CSV for Excel, Numbers, or other spreadsheet programs'. Then, click the Export Products button at the bottom-right. The file will be emailed in about a minute to whatever email you set up for your Admin account in Shopify.
- Open the product export file using Excel or OpenOffice. Note: If your product feed shows SKUs, Attributes or Options on their own rows, you will need to delete them by highlighting those rows, right-clicking & deleting them.
- Resize the Excel/OpenOffice window so it only takes up the top half of your computer's monitor.
- Now, download the Shopzilla example feed file and open it in Excel or OpenOffice as well. Then resize it so it only takes up the bottom half of your computer's monitor.
Note: You will only be able to download the Shopzilla example feed file if you have a Sopzilla/Connexity account. To get a sneak peek at what it looks like along with full data feed specifications, click here.
- This .xls Shopzilla feed file contains the fields Shopzilla will accept. NOTE: The columns highlighted green are required; all other columns are optional, but recommended.
- Starting with Column A of the Shopzilla example feed file, go one column at a time while moving to the right. Use the heading (in row 1 of each column) to identify the corresponding data needed in the store's feed file (above). Then just copy & paste it from the store's feed file into the corresponding column in the Shopzilla feed file. Note: When you copy data from the store's data feed, you don't want to include the headings located in row 1 so be sure to select the info from row 2 down.
HELPFUL HINT #1: Use the concatenate function within your spreadsheet program to add your store's URL before the Image URL & the Product URL.
HELPFUL HINT #2: You can find a list of all the Shopzilla Category ID's here.
- Once you're done filling out the Shopzilla .xls file, copy all content in the spreadsheet to your clipboard by pressing Ctrl+A (Cmd+A on a Mac) to highlight everything and then pressing Ctrl+C (Cmd+C on a Mac) to copy it to your computer's clipboard.
- Now open up Notepad (or a similar text editor) and create a blank .txt file. Paste the content you just copied to your clipboard into the .txt file by pressing Ctrl+V (or Cmd+V on a Mac). Then save the file as a .txt file.
This .txt file is your completed feed file that you will be uploading into your Shopzilla merchant center account in the next series of steps.
Step 3. Upload the Feed File to Your Shopzilla Account
- Log in to your Shopzilla merchant account here.
- In the upper navigation menu, click on Manage Listings and then click Submit & Update Your Product Listings Datafeed within the body of the page.
- Click the Go! button within the 2nd section labeled FullList: Upload your product listings all at once according to our Product Listings specifications.
- In the field below that's labeled Locate your inventory file to upload you should browse for the .txt file you just created in the previous set of steps.
- Click the Browse button and select the Shopzilla .txt feed file you previously saved to your computer.
- Click the Upload my Listings button.
- Click the Commit Listings button.
That concludes the steps for establishing an account with Shopzilla, creating a product feed file and uploading it.
While you wait for your feed file to be processed, you should go through all of the sub-pages within the main tabs of the Shopzilla Merchant Center and make sure you have all your store's settings in place. While cruising through the sub-pages, make sure to visit the Pause/Activate Campaign page and make sure you are set to Active here.
Once your feed is processed and approved, your listings will only start running if you have a balance in your account and the campaign is set to active.