Merchant Account Options for US & Canada
Select your location: USA & Canada | Other Countries
Accept All Major Credit Cards On-Site
Accepting all major credit cards on-site is an absolute must on today's web. Your store's conversion rate will really suffer if you only accept PayPal, which requires customers to leave your site during the checkout process. (Plus, a lot of customers don't realize they don't need to have a PayPal account to check out via PayPal... and some people just don't like PayPal.) In order to process credit cards on-site, you need a merchant account. There are literally thousands of merchant account providers out there, and we've worked with a couple dozen of them over the last decade. Our hands-down #1 favorite merchant account provider (and the only one we recommend for an eCommerce store) is Durango Merchant Services. Here's why...
- Durango charges a low 2.35% processing fee, even on lower-volume accounts. (Both PayPal and Stripe charge 2.90%.)
- Durango allows you to use 1 merchant account for ALL of your stores, even if they don't sell similar product lines. (Most merchant account providers insist that you have a separate account for each and every website, which really increases your monthly overhead.)
- Durango doesn't charge any application fee, and they really fast-track the application process. Most applications are processed and approved within 48 hours.
- Durango has a "small business feel" even though they offer world-class services. You'll have a dedicated account rep (a human!) who you can call or email directly any time you have a question or issue.
- Durango's secure payment gateway (which is included with the merchant account) offers extensive fraud prevention settings you can customize. (And they'll assist you with setting it all up.)
- Unlike a lot of merchant account providers, Durango doesn't have a long-term contract OR charge an Early Termination Fee (ETF).
- Durango offers a low monthly service fee of just $25. Bottom line: If accepting credit cards on-site helps you make 1-2 additional sales per month, it will pay for itself.
- Durango is pre-integrated to work with virtually all shopping cart portals, including Shopify. Integrating the merchant account is as simple as copying & pasting a couple "keys" into your store's admin panel.
- Durango has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. They're dedicated to providing top-notch service.
Boost your store's conversion rate by accepting all major credit cards on-site
- Accept all major credit cards on your website
- Can use 1 account for multiple domain names
- No application fee
- No long-term contract
- No account termination fee
- No business entity necessary
- Generally approved within 48 hours
- Special low rate of 2.35% for Store Coach members (plus $0.35 per transaction)
- Low monthly service fee of $25
- Includes payment gateway - no other accounts necessary
- Pre-integrated with Shopify and virtually all other shopping cart platforms
- Customizable fraud protection settings
- Amazing one-on-one human customer service
- A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau
- Poor credit okay
- Click here to read the FAQs
Simply fill out the inquiry form below to get started. By submitting this form, you are NOT committing to create a merchant account and your credit will NOT be checked. This is simply an inquiry form.
The rates and terms stated above are not guaranteed and are dependent upon credit approval and a review of your application. Approval is not guaranteed. The above rates and terms are for U.S. residents only. At this time, Durango is unable to set up merchant accounts for those living outside of the USA or Canada even if they have registered a US business entity.
What are the benefits of having a merchant account?
Having a merchant account allows you to accept credit card payments without customers ever having to leave your site. Keeping customers on your site throughout the entire checkout process greatly improves your conversion rate (the percentage of visitors who place an order). Accepting credit card payments right on your website makes your store look professional and makes the purchase process much more "slick" and seamless.[/su_spoiler] [su_spoiler title="Do I have to get a merchant account to operate an online store?" style="fancy"]No, you are not required to get a merchant account to run your own eCommerce store. If you want, you can just set up a PayPal business account and offer PayPal as the only checkout method. But there are 3 major drawbacks to doing this:
- A lot of people mistakenly think that they must have a PayPal account themselves in order to pay via PayPal, so you'll miss out on A LOT of orders.
- Some people have had bad experiences with PayPal (or heard "horror stories" about PayPal) and refuse to use it, so you miss out on more potential orders.
- You'll pay a higher rate with PayPal (2.90%) than you will with Durango (2.35%).
For these reasons, we recommend that you sign up for a merchant account as soon as your store starts generating traffic and makes a couple sales.
If I get a merchant account, do I need to get anything else to make it work (i.e. secure payment gateway, SSL certificate, etc.)?
Durango merchant accounts include a secure payment gateway, so you do NOT need to go out and get a gateway account through Authorize.Net or some other secure payment gateway provider. Durango's payment gateway (which is called NMI) has been pre-configured to work with most shopping carts, making it a 2-minute piece of cake to "tie" (or integrate) your Durango merchant account to your store. The only other thing you'll need in order to accept credit card payments on your site is an SSL Certificate, which is typically included with most shopping cart platforms. If it's not included with your cart, you can get an SSL for just a few bucks a year here. (FYI, an SSL Certificate is required to safeguard sensitive personal and financial information customers enter on your site during the checkout process.)
Is American Express separate? What's the monthly charge to accept American Express?
Yes, American Express has opted to "do their own thing" and make you set up a separate merchant account directly with them. That being said, when you apply for a merchant account through Durango, they handle 100% of the application process for you as part of the process of setting up your merchant account. American Express charges a separate monthly fee (which is a few bucks a month) if you choose to accept AMEX cards (which is completely optional; your Durango account manager will ask whether you want to accept AMEX as part of the application process).
Will I be able to accept credit card payments from foreigners living outside the USA?
Durango merchant account gives you the capability to accept credit card payments from customers with a Visa/MasterCard/Discover/AMEX card who live outside the United States (if you choose to accept orders from them). You are NOT limited to accepting payments from only US customers.
Can I use a single Durango merchant account for multiple ecommerce stores with different domain names?
Yes, Durango allows you to use your merchant account for as many different stores as you want, even if they're not in the same niche or market. It is very uncommon among merchant account providers to allow you to do this. Most providers require you to set up a separate account for each and every domain name. (See the next FAQ below for information about what name will appear on customers' credit card statement.)
What name will show up on my customers' credit card statement when they purchase something from (one of) my store(s)?
If you will only be using your merchant account for 1 online store, Durango will set it up so that customers see your domain name on their credit card statement (i.e. YOUR-DOMAIN.COM). If you will be using a single Durango merchant account for multiple stores, Durango will set it up so that customers see your DBA or business name on their credit card statement.
I want to get this merchant account set up ASAP. Is there any way I can expedite the process?
There are a few things Durango is going to need from you. The sooner you send these items to them, the faster they can process your application. The items are:
- A clear copy of your driver’s license
- A voided check to confirm the account for deposits
- Articles of Organization/Incorporation or business license (IF the merchant account will be in the name of your DBA or business)
- The previous 3 months of merchant account statements (IF you currently have a merchant account which you are replacing)
Fax all of the above items to (413) 431-2720.
Is there a minimum monthly fee with Durango?
Virtually every merchant account has a monthly minimum fee, including Durango Merchant Services. Durango's monthly minimum fee is on the low end at just $15 (most credit card processing banks have a minimum fee of $25 per month). The minimum fee only comes into play if you're not making very many sales at all. If you're making $600+ in sales per month, the monthly minimum fee will not affect you at all. With the per-transaction fee being 2.35%, the standard transaction fees will get you over the $15 monthly minimum if you're processing at least ~$600 of sales per month.
I'm in the middle of the application process and it looks to me like there IS a long-term contract... but the informational page on Store Coach says there's not. What's the deal?
Technically, the agreement you'll sign is a 3-year contract, BUT Durango has a special agreement with the processing bank (exclusively for Store Coach members) wherein the standard early termination (cancellation) fees are WAIVED if you cancel before the 3-year term is up. So effectively there is no long-term contract or cancellation fee.
I'm not in the USA. Can I still get a Durango merchant account?
Durango has a great solution in place for store owners living in Canada, but they are unable to help people outside the USA and Canada at this time (even if you set up a US business entity).